Sunday, March 31, 2013

Vegan Lemon Sugar Cookies

Ha, I just realized I haven't updated this thing in over a year. Well, you might remember from this post that the law school has an auction every year to support people working in public interest jobs their 1L summer. I auctioned off my baking again this year, and my amazeballs tax clinic director Nicole won them...for $91, which is over thrice what they went for last year. So I'm baking her a lot. There are two things though: she's vegan, and I'm trying to add more whole wheat flour to my baking, which means fiddling with recipes that I'm formalizing here so I can remember them (and pin them to access elsewhere).



Vegan Lemon Sugar Cookies

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Makes: About 4 1/2 dozen

Adapted from http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegancookierecipes/r/lemoncookie.htm

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups white flour
3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup sugar + 1/4 cup
1 cup vegan unsalted margarine, pre-softened
1/3 cup lemon zest
1/4 cup silken tofu
1/2 cup lemon juice, preferably fresh
1 tsp vanilla

Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium sized bowl.

In a separate large bowl, beat together the 2/3 cup sugar, vegan margarine and lemon zest until smooth and fluffy. Add the tofu and lemon juice, and whip until well mixed.

Add the flour mixture to the margarine mixture and stir until well combined.

Form dough into one-inch balls, and roll into the 1/4 cup sugar until well coated. Flatten slightly, and bake for 8-10 minutes, until lightly golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment